Joan mentioned her primary goal in parenting was, “To mold honest, hardworking, self-sufficient adults, who will be there to help us in our old age and will who make our lives interesting and diverse along the way.” That is a tall order.

Well I only know one of her children, but know enough to say, “Joan nailed it!” She is exactly as her Mom hoped, “honest, hardworking, and self-sufficient.” I would add brave, confident, bright, intelligent, ambitious, and caring.

This Mother and daughter duo, discussed the selected tips at length, which means the world to me! It was my unspoken wish for all 99 Moms. Sharing these tips with your children is, to me, what I had hoped would happen. It was to be my ‘end game.’

Envisioning these two fine women at their kitchen table, reminiscing, sharing history, and discussing Motherhood, filled my heart! I look forward to meeting Joan. I’ll be thanking her in person for all the time and effort not only in this contribution, but in raising the lady I know today!

Joan, “Decision Making – Start this process with your children at an early age, such as what clothes to wear, where to go for a family outing, (movie, swimming, skating, skiing, etc.). Get an early start on teaching them a good life skill.Tip 7

Joan’s tip #7, building the skill of decision making, is one of our most important jobs as Moms. I too started developing those skill in the early years, the formative years, as soon as Michael could talk, as soon as he could point! I knew the importance of decision making. I started right away!

If kids get choice in the more benign decisions, when the big ones come they will be well prepared. “Which sweater, vegetable, hat, book, outing?” Making fun and easy decisions serve as the first stage. Each decision will help to build a strong foundation for what lies ahead.

For some, the isolation and comfort of the Mom-Baby duo is very short lived. Michael was heading to day care at 18 months. He would be making decisions there! I was painfully aware my decisions for him, would be happening in a very small, ever-shrinking, window of time.

I knew, even at age 2, he would be making decisions. My first plan of attack, was convincing him he was already good at it! “Michael, you make such great decisions.”

Every time he picked blue instead of green, “Great decision buddy.” When he picked green instead of blue, “Nice decision buddy.” He selected this shirt instead of the other, “Great Michael, good decision!” He ‘decided’ to wear mittens, “I knew you’d make the right decision.” I said it at every turn. I reinforced every decision. I was alert and on deck.

I quickly convinced Michael we was the best decision maker ever! By the time Michael entered elementary school, he could tell you himself he was a strong decision maker!

Repeating to kids they have the ability to make solid decisions is a gold-star technique. This skill is tied for importance, second only to reading (in my humble opinion).

I know for sure Michael, and Joan’s daughter, are both impeccable decision makers. Any focus in this area will be time well spent.

Thanks Joan!

Next week, starting a family quartet with Donna on, trying. For sneak peaks and more great tips, make sure to “like” our Facebook page.

Author(s)

• Doreen Coady

Author & Parenting Commentator

Author of 100 Moms 1000 Tips 1 Million Reasons & 100 Dads 1000 Tips 1Million Reasons available on Amazon and major book stores.   Doreen is empty-nester who has spent the last five years collecting tips from 199 parents. Her heartwarming and real-talk, message on parenting is woven through their collective wishes and wisdom.   Parents are diverse in terms of age, culture, social-economic background, and beliefs. Contributions provide 2000 parenting tips from others interested in helping each other, especially new parents learning the ropes.   Every tip and commentary is distinct, providing a magnificent assortment of shared experiences. The collection conveys the depth, devotion, and breadth of parenting.   This is fun, enlightening, easy to read, and a highly relatable account of parenting successes and struggles.   For ‘the why,’ check out, https://99momsplusone.wordpress.com/, or search “100 Moms 1000 Tips” on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.