Karen is an author, speaker, mentor, and barefoot water skier. Karen has published many books, one released just this month “Unwrapping Your Passion,” words she lives by!

Karen is generous with her time, and in sharing her experiences. I am so happy we both took the time to connect when she was passing through my Province. She is pure delight!

Karen, “Enjoy every moment because it really truly does go by in the blink of an eye.Tip 2

I vividly remember this advice, likely the most common piece of advice I’ve ever received, and the most ignored. Everyone seemed to say it. I hated it!

Today, I’m a little wiser, and much more skilled at enjoying moments. In my early years, I do wish I had taken that caution more seriously. It has gone by in a “blink.”

Whenever I heard, “Enjoy it. It flies by.” I thought to myself, not fast enough!

I thought, I can’t wait until he talks, walks, wipes his own butt, sleeps in, goes to school, finds a job, drives, and graduates. I wanted freedom! It felt as if each stage was going to be a lifetime. I was dramatic, immature, and so so short-sighted!

Maybe my distorted perception had something to do with my age, my development, and my fears. I thought the diapers would never end and the soccer games would last forever. Whether it was one factor or a combination of many, my egocentric attitude prevented me from seeing things clearly.

I did cherish some moments, just in case there was any truth to the phrase. I recall pulling myself into special times, when I suspected might be fleeting. I slowed down during birthday parties, Christmas mornings, school concerts, evening snuggles, and oddly parades, when I had the mind to do so. I don’t know what my hurry was, I had nowhere to be. I certainly had nothing more important to do!

As I prepare this column, my son is enjoying his 26th birthday. I have no party to plan, no venues to book, no treat bags to fill, and no mess to clean. These days I no longer need juice boxes, milk money, or student fees. I never could have known I’d miss reading time, parent-teacher meetings, and even the relentless obligation of meal time.

Back then, things seemed in slow motion. In reflection, it feels as though days, not years, have passed. How I wish I believed the wisdom in the sage advice. I didn’t know the depth of the truth. I was quick to disregard many cautions.

I’m glad Karen is giving this message. I’m hoping others can better heed the warning. There is much to be gained by slowing down. In the moment the chaos, and seeming inconveniences of parenting, might just be the noise your heart aches for when the quiet settles in.

Karen is someone who absolutely enjoys the journey. I would even bet she stops to smell all the smells. She’s not just a roses-only-kinda-gal.

…for more information on this topic: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/donna-henes/being-present_b_1074350.html

Check out sneak peaks at, https://www.facebook.com/100Moms1000Tips1MillionReasons/

Stay tuned, next week, Amy on trusting your judgement.

Author(s)

• Doreen Coady

Author & Parenting Commentator

Author of 100 Moms 1000 Tips 1 Million Reasons & 100 Dads 1000 Tips 1Million Reasons available on Amazon and major book stores.   Doreen is empty-nester who has spent the last five years collecting tips from 199 parents. Her heartwarming and real-talk, message on parenting is woven through their collective wishes and wisdom.   Parents are diverse in terms of age, culture, social-economic background, and beliefs. Contributions provide 2000 parenting tips from others interested in helping each other, especially new parents learning the ropes.   Every tip and commentary is distinct, providing a magnificent assortment of shared experiences. The collection conveys the depth, devotion, and breadth of parenting.   This is fun, enlightening, easy to read, and a highly relatable account of parenting successes and struggles.   For ‘the why,’ check out, https://99momsplusone.wordpress.com/, or search “100 Moms 1000 Tips” on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.