unwritten.rules

Without an expensive data plan (figure $10 a day) most travel apps are NOT available offline, or without wifi (pronounced Wee-Fee in France). Check + access apps with wifi access at your lodgings, before heading out to your activities.

culture.hack

Research your favorite apps. Buy, bring, + charge a portable device charger, before you leave home or lodgings.

(NAO) = Not Available Offline

CultureTrip –  Goes beyond the obvious. What I would visit and write about. (NAO)

ExpressVPN – Watch, listen, stream home country content (even from censored and blocked websites). No need for translating websites. I binge-watched Gypsy, CNN, and some of BRAVO TV. Masks actual IP address location fooling the internet into thinking you are at your home location. Creates a secure tunnel between your computer and the internet. Allows anonymous web access from wherever you are. Good idea to keep the subscription after you return. $9.99 per month on the six-month plan. Cancel anytime. Desktop.

Facetune – Natural looking airbrush selfie tool that’s powerful and easy to use.

FlixBus – 120,000 daily connections to 1,000 destinations in 20 countries. Cheap, reliable, and sustainable long-distance buses. Traveled from Cannes to Aix for about 10 dollars RT. Free Wi-Fi and charging outlets on board. CO2 emissions are offset by purchasing tickets online (about 1-3% of the ticket price) going directly to internationally certified climate projects. Change a booking on or offline.

Rome2Rio – Gets me anywhere — at home or anywhere in the world — by searching plane, train, bus, car and ferry routes with auto redirect to booking. (NAO)

Wifi Map Pro – Share free passwords to wifi access all over the world. Map works offline.

UNESCO WorldHeritage – Inspiring travel app of all UNESCO World Heritage sites with full descriptions and images of the most famous places to visit from the Great Wall of China to the Lascaux Caves in France. Maps available offline.

Visit my website Expat Whisperer for expat coaching packs or listen to my original podcasts on demand. You might also enjoy the always fascinating culture blog feed that deconstructs everyday life. Or, take one of my labs you won’t find anywhere else. I may be travelling somewhere in the world, but you can always find me on LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.