resume tips

Today, recruiters look at A LOT of resumes. Ever since applying online was invented, the job of the recruiter has gotten much tougher. Why? The current ease of applying has dramatically increased the number of people who submit applications for each position. This makes the recruiter’s job much more time-consuming. Good recruiters teach themselves to skim a resume as a way to speed up the process. Which means, if your resume isn’t optimized to pass the “skim test,” the likelihood of you getting to the interview stage goes down significantly.

3 Resume No-No’s

In a recent #JTTalksJobs livestream, I explained in detail why the following three things should be removed from your resume:

1. Objective Statement
  2. Excessive bolding, underlining and italics.
  3. Bullet points that are more than two lines long.

Each of the above works against you for different reasons. To learn more about each one and what to do instead, check out my video below. The sooner you update your resume, the better the chances it sends the right message.

P.S. If you don’t think my company’s career coaching membership site is for you (yet).

At Work It Daily, we put together the following free career growth tools for you:

• A complete job search checklist.

CLICK HERE to DOWNLOAD the pdf file.

• A list of the 18 most common interview questions.

• Free cover letter samples.

• Guide to changing careers.

• Masterclass on how to avoid common job search mistakes.

CLICK HERE to ACCESS the video training.

This is part of LinkedIn’s new Newsletter Series. To get weekly career advice, be sure to follow #JTTalksJobs to join the conversation!

This article was originally posted on LinkedIn.