Hearing a wise piece of advice can change us. It can slip into the deepest recesses of our minds as we sleep, transforming our approach to things we felt were fundamental about the way we lived.
Sometimes, the wisest advice comes from ancient philosophers like Seneca and Aristotle. Other times, it comes from celebrities like Meghan Markle and DJ Khaled.
Allow us to present a selection of quotes that may just change the way you look at life. See how many you can attribute correctly to their source — philosopher or celebrity?
1) Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
2) Too much is at stake for us to be apathetic.
3) Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
4) We can’t become what we need to be by remaining what we are.
5) If you don’t have any shadows you’re not in the light
6) In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.
7) You pray for rain, you’ve got to deal with mud too.
8) You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
9) Beauty is no accomplishment on its own.
10) It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.
11) I restore myself when I’m alone.
12) Put your energy in a solution. Don’t complain about things, because that is setting you back.
13) We have two ears and one mouth, so we should listen more than we say.
14) You draw your own box. You introduce yourself as who you are. You create the identity you want for yourself.
15) Consistency is the most overrated of all human virtues
16) Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
17) Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
18) The oldest, shortest words — “yes” and “no” — are those which require the most thought.
1) Aristotle 2) Kevin Costner 3) Seneca 4) Oprah 5) Lady Gaga 6) Sun Tzu 7) Denzel Washington 8) Marcus Aurelius 9) Padma Lakshmi 10) Epictetus 11) Marilyn Monroe 12) DJ Khaled 13) Zeno of Citium 14) Meghan Markle 15) Malcolm Gladwell 16) Plato 17) Confucius 18) Pythagoras