Fear is a powerful teacher.
It calls you to challenge the boundaries and limitation you’ve put around your life.
It calls you to question what you perceive, what you think and what you believe to be true.
And it calls you to rise above it all and move to the next level of your potential in life, at work and with your creative projects.
So if it’s time to step outside your comfort zone and make a big dream happen, this five-minute F.E.A.R. busting process will help you confront your demons along the way, anytime and anywhere.
What you resist persists. By trying not to think about your fear, you’re actually inadvertently feeding it. The more energy you give it, the more energy you need to use to then try and resist it. So face your fear. Name it and make it real.
Stop, center yourself, breathe and then ask yourself:
- What am I afraid of here?
- What am I most afraid of?
Take a moment to observe your feelings of fear. What is it about the situation that’s triggering it? Is it a person, a tone of voice, a sound, a smell or a place? Break it down and see it what started it.
- What is the trigger here?
- How does this situation remind me of a past experience?
Now let’s alchemize your fear. This will release any hold it has on you. To alchemize your fear, locate where you feel it in your body; is it in your stomach? your heart? your throat?
Then follow this alchemizing process:
- Take a deep breath in.
- Now breathe out and imagine blowing your fear into the air around you.
- Keep doing this and you’ll start to notice your feelings of fear diminish.
As you start to feel less fearful, you create space to breathe in the feeling of hope. Hope brings with it a higher positive energy that can help lift your mood and pull you through the situation.
All you need to do is:
- Imagine that you’re surrounded by the bright, light energy of hope.
- Breathe in this energy, and imagine it being transported to every cell in your body right down to your feet.
- Keep doing this and you’ll notice how you feel lighter, more optimistic and sometimes even a little warmer!
Whatever challenge you’re facing or dream you want to make happen, the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head-on and use your mind and energy to transform them from a brake that holds you back, into a propeller that moves you forward.
- Face it. Name the fear.
- Examine it. Find the trigger of the fear.
- Alchemize it. Breathe out the fear.
- Reform it. Breathe in the energy of hope.
(Extract from: “Gulp! : The 7-day Crash Course to Master Fear and Break Through Any Challenge” by Gabriella Goddard)