I think I may have just discovered the holistic health secret to shiny hair, spotless skin, and toned abs: Apple Cider Vinegar.
What the heck is Apple Cider Vinegar??? Apple cider vinegar, known as cider vinegar or ACV, is a type of vinegar made from cider or apple and has a pale to medium amber color. Unpasteurized or unfiltered ACV contains the “mother of vinegar” which makes the vinegar look thicker and amber colored.
Apple Cider Vinegar is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Bacteria and Yeast are added to the liquid to start the alcoholic fermentation process, and the sugars are turned into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria. Acetic and malic acid give vinegar its sour taste.
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (AVC) is rich in minerals. There is a long history of its use in medicine dating back to 400 B.C., when Hippocrates used it to treat his patients. AVC is considered to be a potent remedy for illnesses and overall health. Apple cider vinegar’s strong suit is balancing pH levels, and creating a healthy, alkalized state when you eat or drink it — or use it a skin-care product. (You want to be more alkaline than acidic for a trillion health reasons, some experts say.)
It’s also pretty renowned in natural-health circles for curbing digestive issues, spiking weight loss, promoting great skin, and banishing a handful of other pesky afflictions.
And in the medical community, small research studies point to its promise for lessening symptoms of diabetes and obesity.
Want to know other incredible ways this wonder drink can help you? Here are a few more Health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Rich in potassium, a mineral that is often times lacking in adult diets. This mineral is key for growth, building muscles, transmission of nerve impulses, heart activity etc. It also helps to prevent brittle teeth, hair loss and runny noses.
- Rich in acetic acid. This acid is said to slow the digestion of starch which can help to lower the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals.
- Rich in ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. This aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state. (It is particularly important if you drink a lot of coffee or wine.)
- It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol.
- Rich in malic acid which gives ACV its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- May help improve bowel irregularity and helps to remove toxins from the body at a faster rate (hello detox drink!)
- It can help clear up skin conditions and blemishes.
- ACV helps with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them.
- A few lab studies have found that ACV may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth.
What kind of Apple Cider Vinegar do you buy?
Get the good stuff. By “the good stuff,” I mean raw, organic, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. If you’ve got a good bottle of apple cider vinegar, you should see some strand-like sediment floating at the bottom. No, your vinegar hasn’t gone bad — that gunky-looking stuff at the bottom is the most important part! It’s called “the mother,” and it contains raw enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria that promote healing. Clear vinegar is processed and doesn’t have any of the benefits that raw ACV has. There are different brands out there but I use Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, which I find at my local organic market or Whole Foods. If you want to buy more in bulk at cost, I recommend looking into buying your ACV on Amazon.
How to add apple cider vinegar to your diet
Drink it! Mix 1–2 tablespoons with a cup of water or herbal tea. (Apple cider vinegar is quite strong, and when taken straight can be harsh on the esophagus, so you’ll want to dilute it). Some people recommend taking 2 tablespoons before every meal, but if you are new to drinking it, I would start with 2 tbsp in the morning before your day begins. I like fixing up a “Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drink” to get my day started with the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:
Caroline’s “Apple Cider Vinegar Detox” Drink Recipe
- 1 glass water (12–16 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional but I use it! )
- 1 packet stevia
This recipe detox drink will help your body burn fat, lose weight, fight diabetes, and glow with health. Lemon juice helps balance blood sugar and has an alkaline effect on your body helping to regulate ph. It contains vitamin C. Cinnamon is one of the best anti-oxidants on the planet. It is the number 1 spice/herb for balancing blood sugar. Cayenne pepper has been shown to drop blood pressure and increase . Stevia is an all nautical sweetener made from the stevia plant and is a great replacement for any artificial sweeteners.
Mix up this morning elixir and kick start your body for the day!!
Mix It! Apple Cider Vinegar is a classic salad dressing ingredient, which you can definitely get a little creative with! While olive oil, the most commonly used oil for salad dressing, you can mix your ACV with flax oil and lemon or orange juice, and perhaps even whirr it all together in a blender with a clove of garlic and a bit of onion. I even like to just drizzle it on my salad plain! If you want to experiment with a salad, try this raspberry vinaigrette recipe:
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1–2 T filtered water
- 1/4 cup organic raspberries
- 1/4 tsp onion & garlic powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1–2+ T raw honey (or sweetener of your choice)
Instructions: 1. Combine all ingredients into a food processor 2. Blend until smooth 3. Pour into a storage container, such as a recycled bottle of salad dressing 4. Enjoy over a salad…Yum!
I strongly believe that combined with a clean diet, regular exercise regimen, and happy lifestyle, Apple Cider Vinegar has the power to provide incredible health benefits. Have you heard of any other great uses for apple cider vinegar? Let me know in the comments below!
Hope you enjoy these recipes — I’m off to drink my daily Apple Cider Vinegar detox drink!
Want to build a balanced body? Check out my book, Balanced Body Breakthrough and get your mind, body, and spirit in great shape so you can love your life.
Originally published at www.carolinejordanfitness.com on July 6, 2013.
Originally published at medium.com