When you think of summer escapes destinations, Capri, Maldives, Fiji might come to mind. But how about a little gem no-one has heard of and is totally relaxing?
Take the stress out of planning for your next vacation and head to Denmark. Just 45mins drive from Copenhagen is the sweet little town Hornbæk (pronounced horn-beck) and is everything you could want from a summer destination. Perfect for families and couples, the town is small, but packed with enough goodies to keep you entertained for a long weekend, or if you’re lucky enough, a couple of weeks.
We stayed at the recently renovated Hornbækhus which is an old Danish home renovated to keep the quality and feel of a gorgeous home, but all the luxuries you want from a hotel.
Special features include communal home-cooking dinners in the garden, yoga sessions and a delicious danish breakfast served each morning.
The additional plus is thats its no more than a 5 minute stroll to the beach, and if you get the sunny days in Denmark, you’ll have hours to splash about on this white sandy, clear blue watered beach.
The interiors all come from Denmark and Sweden and are bright and designed to bring joy.
Things to do in Hornbæk:
- Cafe & music: A must is Albi’s cafe. Relaxed, homestyle dishes and on a sunny weekend, they have live music. It’s rustic and cozy.
- For something a little more upmarket, try Kurbadet restaurant
- Spend the entire day at Ilse Jacobsen’s Kurbet day spa. Make sure you book a treatment, make time for a dip in the outdoor pool and finish the day with a glass of bubbly and fantastic food.
- NeoNoir – best shopping for women’s clothes
- Ilse Jacobsen – pick up a classic pair of Ilse’s rain boots
- Bagt Bakery – pick up some famous Danish rye bread and eateries and carb overload, its worth it
It’s free and easily accessible. Head to the wonderful beach for a refreshing swim or beach front walk
Hornbæk is known as the ‘Hamptons’ of Denmark and a favorite of the Danish Royals and I can understand why. Get ready for a magical weekend with gorgeous architecture, fabulous views, and incredible food. Just make sure to take someone you love to share this incredible destination before too many people find out about this little gem.