I don’t want to follow a thousand people on Instagram.⁠

There, I said it.⁠

I don’t want to follow-for-follow.⁠

I don’t want to join “engagement pods” designed to trick the algorithm into pushing my content to the top of the feed.

And I most certainly don’t want to “like” your posts if it’s clear that you are ONLY showing up on my feed to sell me your latest course, coaching package, or a $97 eBook on losing the 10 extra pounds.

(Nothing against selling, yo. Hell, as a copywriter, I specialize in the stuff.)

The (Creepy) Landscape of Instagram in 2020

Over the last few years, Instagram has become a Weird place to be.

On the one hand, it’s where my clients (and my client’s clients) hang out the most.

On the other, it often resembles a barren wasteland littered with “Buy My Thing Or You Will Miss Out On Making 100K This Week” and naked butt pictures.

It’s cousin, Facebook, is not helping.

Most of my business Facebook groups are filled with “follow for follow!” posts, engagement pod requests, and other creepy attempts to get more attention and followers.

Me?

I’m over it.

“But Isn’t That How The Game Works?”

⁠Some people would say that I’m nuts for refusing to participate in what I’ve dubbed “The Instagram Games.”

That you gotta “give some to get some.”⁠

That it’s the only way to land paying clients in this day and age.

I (wholeheartedly) disagree.⁠

Why?

Because ⁠I’ve landed $5K+ copywriting clients while only having 65 Instagram followers.

And I’ve done it by talking mostly about health, wellness, and the dangers of the #hustleandgrind culture – a.k.a. the things that I’m really, really passionate about.

I have written very vulnerable posts about my most difficult moments, shown up on IG stories without any makeup on, and shared some of the more hidden parts of my personality with the world.

I have sent heartfelt messages and formed real relationships with people whose content I genuinely enjoy.

And it has WORKED.

No, I don’t have a million followers.

But I do have an uncluttered, inspiring Instagram feed free of sleazy marketers – and a full pipeline of fresh leads heading my way every month.

What I’m Looking For on Instagram

In the midst of this social distancing experiment, I’m not looking for an extra 10 Instagram followers.⁠

I’m looking for…⁠

Friends.⁠

You know, people I could tag in silly IG challenges without wondering if they’ll think it’s weird.⁠

Whose stories I could repost with a giant “READ‌‌ THIS‌ Y’ALL” on the bottom because they are just. so. freakin. good.⁠

Who, sometime down the line, would be down for hopping on a Zoom call with some wine and getting to know one another IRL.⁠

⁠Sure, I want my ideal clients to see my posts.

But I don’t want to follow 1,000+ people I only moderately like to achieve that.

And you shouldn’t have to either.

What Do YOU Want Out of Instagram?

The bottom line?

Feel free to ditch the “follow for follow” posts (and the scarcity mentality that comes with them).

Make your own way out there.

The clients who are meant to find you will find you – and they WILL resonate with the awesome content you are putting out.

Now, tell me… What do YOU want out of Instagram?

Let me know in a comment down below!

Author(s)