‘One Word’ is a seven year tradition that has been instrumental in both my personal and professional growth. It has boosted me to mountain tops, carried me through valley’s, carried me through grief, anxiety and severe depression, comforted me through heartache, and inspired me to become the best version of myself. It is a tradition that I share with my family and friends as we hold one another accountable each and every day.

Over the years I have lived the words Abundance, Surrender, Love, Conquer, Inspire, Grit, and Rise. Each journey brought about a deeper connection not only with myself, but with the those in my life who I came to trust during my year of “conquer.”

I confided in my mother recently in order to sort through many frustrations that keep me up at night. Rise was the theme for the year, and she reminded me that I have risen both personally and professionally over the last year. The focus I placed on rising came with sacrifice. Recently, I have begun to wonder whether I sacrificed too much. I am physically and mentally exhausted. I have been sick more frequently. I have not been present at home. I have not been present in relationships. And, I have spent less time with my friends.

The indicators and questions I am in the habit of asking when I lose my balance are:
1. Has my focus become narrow?
2. Does my to-do list feel like the end all be all of existence?
3. Is the matter at hand really a big deal, or are you overreacting?
4. Are you flat out thinking that you need to have more fun?
5. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being highest, how much fun are you
having on a regular basis? On average?
6. Do you think at the end of your life you might say, “I wish I had had more
fun?”
7. Are you envious of others who are having more fun?

I invested so much of the last year focused on work. I set aside goals, hopes, and dreams. I have definitely set aside my 5, 10, and 20 year plans that I had made growing up. Over the next 5-weeks on my ‘One Word’ journey, I am shifting my focus to get back to being the best version of myself.

Je Prévois de vous promener à pied sans but sans un plan. Translated it reads, I am planning to walk around aimlessly without a plan. Over the last year, I have set my focus on one thing, and I feel like I missed everything around me. The next five weeks are a great opportunity to walk aimlessly as I answer the following questions with intention and arrive at “One Word’ for 2020.

1. What skill, hope, dream, or intention have you set aside?
2. Write it down. Commit to actively brushing the dust off and enhancing it.
3. Track your progress on a daily basis. Use stickers on your calendar, check
marks, anything.
4. At the end of the month, measure your progress. Did you do well? Do you
need to tweak?
5. What steps do you need to take next?
6. Reward yourself!

What traditions do you have for the New Year?

Author(s)

• Sarah Elizabeth Quick

Life Coach - Blogger - Visionary - Leader

I have a background is in psychology, with a focus in Life Coaching. My niches include Health & Wellness, Leadership & Executive, Marriage & Family, and Grief Coaching. I specialize in helping people identify and achieve their personal goals by coping with the issues that are causing them distress, anxiety, and stress. I take great pride in the progress and success of my clients. I continue to challenge myself as I consult with local universities and community organizations to develop and facilitate workshops, author educational materials, and serve as a speaker for events. I currently serve as Co-Chair and Diversity & Inclusion Chair on the Licking County Community Intercultural Relations Committee where I collaborate with local faculty, students, business leaders, and community members in regards to current diversity and inclusion issues and concerns that should be addressed. I also created the Licking County Community Intercultural Relations Committee Champion Award and its criteria. I serve as Arts & Culture At Large Board Member of Young Leaders of Licking County, an Advisory Committee Member of the Career and Technology Education Centers of Licking County, and a Scholarship Review Volunteer for The Licking County Foundation.