I have to say that I felt indifferent about seeing the Barbie movie at first. I know people have been buzzing about it for months, but I just couldn’t get into it. I’m not sure what my initial resistance was all about. Perhaps I thought it might be a little silly and not have much of a plot line.
I was pleasantly surprised, however, after I watched it. I even thought it was great.
What I liked most about it:
- It is full of little jokes and lots of small innuendos. You have to pay attention in order to catch them but they are there in bulk. I am continuing to laugh at them weeks after watching the movie.
- It is very empowering for women.
- I love that the saviors of the day were a mom and her daughter. As a single mom of two teenage girls, I could cheer right along with them. And, as a special bonus, I watched it with one of my daughters too.
- It is packed with content that we can all relate to. Many of us had Barbie dolls in our homes growing up, and I’ve watched lots of Barbie movies with my daughters as they grew up too.
- The cast members were amazing in their roles.
- It brought about awareness to social issues in a way that was both subtle and funny.
- It addressed some of the “impossible” standards that women often feel that they are being held to.
- It had a very feel good vibe about it.
- Finally, it was just plain entertaining.
Initially, I wasn’t sure what all the hype was about, but now I’m firmly on the Barbie bandwagon! I highly recommend it and am planning to go again!!