So often in business, we want a quick path, some fast-paced connection, or a secret recipe for success. Unfortunately, they don’t exist. We just have to pay our dues and put in the work to attain our goals. We can’t get a fast pass to push ahead of everyone else. If it were that easy, everyone would do it.
When I’m coaching and working with people, sometimes that’s the worst news that they can hear. That I don’t have some secret path for them to take. That I can’t give them a blueprint to trace. The truth of the matter is that you just have to do the time and put in the work. It’s that simple, even though it can seem endless when you are in the throes of it.
Here are some ways that you can remain patient while paying your dues:
- Track how far you’ve come. Sometimes it can feel like we are sitting still and making no progress at all. When we actually track it, however, we can see just how far we’ve actually come.
- Keep grinding it out. It’s doing the less rewarding, smaller tasks consistently that leads us to the larger, more glamorous ones.
- Check in on your dreams. As time goes by, we can lose sight of our ultimate goals, or start to water them down. Don’t. Be sure to revisit them so that you can reaffirm what it is that you want.
- Get a boost from others. Look to friends and colleagues in your network when you need a push or are feeling discouraged.
- Work on your support system. Surround yourself with others who are making big moves and getting things done. Their presence will help inspire you.
- Reassess your plan. Maybe you are working hard, but going about it the wrong way. Revisit your plan at times to ensure that you are tackling this objective the right way.
- Give yourself a temporary break if you need one. Sometimes we begin to get burnt out if we are pushing too hard and not making the kind of progress that we hope for. In those instances, it’s best to take a short break and return back to it with renewed vigor again in the near future.
- Get creative. You can get stuck in a rut and become bored. In those instances, it pays to take a step back and try to think up new and creative ways to move closer towards your objectives. A little creativity goes a long way.
At the end of the day, you can’t get away from the work. Becoming great is no picnic. So, while putting in the work, do what you can to ensure that you remain dedicated and keep going after your dreams.