The holidays are behind us, but many of us are returning to work even more exhausted than before we left for our vacations. It’s really no wonder with all of the additional tasks that the holiday festivities involved (wrapping presents, decorating trees, visiting relatives, cleaning up that wrapping paper, and much more). The good news is that there’s no better time to get back on track.
So, when thinking about your goals for 2023 (don’t worry, you can still formulate them post Dec. 31st), it’s very important to put self-care at the top of your list.
Here are a few ways that you can prioritize taking care of yourself this year:
- Identify It. What’s important to you in terms of your self-care? Is it getting in a facial every couple of weeks? Maybe it’s going for a monthly massage. Whatever you choose, write it down so that you can make it a reality.
- Schedule It. If it’s on your calendar, it’s going to happen. Whatever you identified in terms of your self-care goals needs to be scheduled so that you can continue participate in it throughout the year. Scheduling now will set yourself up for self-care success!
- Factor In Sleep. We’re often so busy getting things done, that we discount the value of getting enough sleep every night. The truth is that if you get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, you’ll look better, feel better, and be much happier as a result. Why not be kind to yourself and prioritize setting proper start and stop times for your days?
- Hydrate. The same goes for drinking water. Be certain that you are staying hydrated by drinking 6-8 glasses of water throughout the day so that your body can function the way that it is meant to.
- Plan your meals. Eating healthy requires some forethought and strategy. Create a plan for your weekly meals in advance. That way, you’ll have the groceries you need to stick with the plan, fueling your body with consistent, high-quality meals.
- Work It. A solid fitness routine is worth its weight in gold. Don’t make it torture for yourself though. Make it fun instead by engaging in activities that you enjoy. Maybe it’s pilates or rowing or boxing. Whatever makes you happy and gives you a physical workout at the same time is your best recipe for success.
- Book Some Time Away. We all need a little downtime throughout the year to rest, relax, and reset. Choose and schedule those vacations now before the year gets away from you. Where have you always wanted to go? What have you always wanted to try? They should be at the top of your list.
- Feed Your Mind. Self-care involves taking care of your mind and spirit as well as your body. Identify several ways that you can feed your mind and soul during the new year.
- Don’t Forget Alone Time. We all need some time alone to just kick back and do nothing at all. That’s how we get to know and love ourselves. So give yourself some love by penciling in a little alone time along the way.
- Remind Yourself. Set reminders on your phone so that you partake in all of your self-care activities regularly. Taking care of yourself should always be your number one priority! Don’t forget it.