Do you ever feel as if everything’s going wrong? Like you’re hearing way more no’s than yesses? Or maybe you just experienced a rejection (or two) that was a lot more painful than most. If so, it may have left feeling like you just can’t win. Don’t worry. It happens to most of us from time to time. I’ve certainly been there before.
What I’ve come to realize is that sometimes you just need one little victory to turn things around and to shift your mindset to one that receives. Even if things haven’t generally been going your way, you can reverse the trend.
Here are some ways that I do (and you can too) when I’m feeling that way:
- I do something that I know that I’m good at. If you want to give yourself a small boost of confidence, sometimes it’s just a matter of setting yourself up for a milestone that you can easily achieve so that you can get that little rush.
- I complete a task that has been on my to-do list for a long time. Nothing makes you feel better and more competent than finishing a to-do item that you have been meaning to do for a long time. There’s so much pleasure in mentally scratching it off!
- I work on an item that aligns with my long-term goals. You might have lost the battle, but you don’t have to lose the war. Put some time and effort into being productive towards your ultimate goals. This will get you thinking about the big wins that are waiting for you in the future.
- I give myself a challenge that I’m likely to hit. This can be anything from walking an extra 10 minutes a day to sticking with your new daily schedule. Whatever it is, accomplishing this challenge will help you to start feeling better about yourself.
- I make a list of my successes. Sometimes we just have to remind ourselves that we don’t lose all the time and that we have won a lot along the way. When we put these successes to pen and paper, we’ll remember all the things that have gone our way instead of focusing on the things that have not.
- I get a good night’s sleep and come up with a fresh plan of attack in the morning. When things don’t work out the way that we want them too, sometimes it’s just a huge signal that we are tired and need to regroup. Nothing beats getting a good night’s sleep after a loss, to provide us with the renewed energy and vigor to keep us moving ahead.