“The greatest accomplishment began as a decision once made and often a difficult one.”Michael Rawls
Whenever we are in a difficult situation and things get murkier, dark with no end in sight we start to lose faith in ourselves, in our capabilities. We feel like we have a million things we need to have, to know and be in order to succeed, to be happy. We tell ourselves that good things only happen to other people and this becomes the story we tell ourselves over and over again. We become afraid to rock the boat lest we should capsize. We become more accustomed to living an ok life and before we know it, it becomes the norm and we cease to fight. The will to live an authentic life ceases to exist before long.
But this doesn’t have to be your reality. We are in control of our lives and not the other way around. We need to tell our lives which direction to take, which path to go on. We do not need permission from anyone. Even though you may have a life that today requires you to be at the mercy of people you still have a choice. You always have a choice.
Today you will take one action, an action that will set you on the path of taking back the reins of your life. This is not a magic pill, instead see it as a tool that you will take with you and use it repeatedly to help you be the pilot of your life. Today, you will learn to make the mind shift from being the victim to being a decision maker.
What is your current modus operandi?
If you ask most people how they are like when it comes to making decisions or taking positive actions in their lives, most will probably assume that they are in charge, after all they are adults with a developed brain and intelligence and can make decisions for themselves so of course, they are in charge of their own decisions. Yet if they were to be honest and dig deeper by asking themselves these questions, they will find that perhaps life happens to them more often than not.
To find out whether you are in victim mode or decision maker mode ask yourself these questions below:
- Do you see your life as out of your control?
- Do you think that good things only happen to lucky people?
- Do you think that there is nothing you can do to change your destiny?
- Do you feel miserable most days and feel like you have no choice other than the current path you’re on?
- Do you think that you are not rich enough, smart enough or have the right network to create a different life for yourself?
If you’ve answered to all or most of these questions with yes, then you have decided to take the passive role in your life and you have been letting external forces decide how your life is going to be.
The good news is that all is not lost, you can decide today that you are going on a different path. Here’s how.
The Mind Shift
Here’s the big secret, it starts with you!
It all starts with your mind.
The perception of your life lies with YOU.
The experiences that you feel is up to YOU.
The actions you take and the results you create is up to YOU.
There is no one else who can dictate how you live your life except for you.
But to go from who you are now to becoming a decision maker, you need to see what the Decision Maker looks like.
Decision Makers are people who:
- Take an active role in changing the course of their lives
- Take actions on a regular basis
- See life as full of opportunities
- Hold themselves accountable
- Are clear on what resources they have and figure out how to get the resources they need.
- Are adaptable to situations and will take actions even when it is a detour from their current plan.
Being a Decision Maker doesn’t mean that you need to be perfect, it means that you continue to act despite imperfections and despite your own fears and doubts. You will still suffer from procrastination and you will feel discouraged but guess what? This is all part and parcel of taking actions, you will experience the good, the bad and the ugly. The biggest difference between a victim and a Decision Maker is that the Decision Maker shows up everyday and takes small steps everyday to achieve her goal.
Change does not happen overnight but magic does happen when you make the conscious effort to be the Decision Maker in your life and not be a victim of life. You can take the first steps today by adjusting your mind to think of all the possibilities available to you rather than just the limitations.
You cannot be certain of the end results of the actions you take but you can be a hundred percent certain of your ability to decide to take the actions in the first place.
Today, YOU can be a Decision Maker and:
- Decide to be the Master of your own life
- Decide to no longer accept anything lesser than what you deserve.
- Decide on what exactly you want in life.
- Decide on the steps you are willing to take to make that happen.
- Decide that today is the day you do something to change your life because only YOU can do it.
Ready to take action and create a life of purpose and meaning? Equip yourself with 3 strategies to help you take action consistently with this free ebook.