It’s that time of year when we are embarking on our fast-paced countdown to January. How did it sneak up on us like this? We ask ourselves this same question every year. Still, here it is yet again, and we are forced to try to pack in as much as possible before the ball drops on New Year’s Eve.
So, now is the time to get into the groove, and here are some things that we can do to wrap the year up with a bang:
- First, figure out what you want to get done before the end of 2023. It all starts with prioritizing your tasks and determining what it will take to finish out the year in a way that will make you feel like you’ve really accomplished something. What do you have left to do? What do you want to complete. Asking these questions will also help you have a strong start in 2024.
- Second, conduct a review of everything that happened this year, both positive and negative. What was good and what was not so good? What made you feel happy and accomplished? What made you feel less so? A year in review can help you gain a wider perspective, and enable you to do things better next year.
- Then, ask yourself how you’ve progressed, emotionally, phsyically, intellectually and spiritually throughout the year? What practices would you like to put in place these last two months to improve in this regard? Is there more that you want to learn? Do you want to get a better handle on your mindset or workout routine? What will make you feel more complete?
- Next, figure out what you can do to set yourself up for success at the holidays. The more you plan for the holidays and get ahead of them, the less stressful they will be for you. Perhaps you can shop now so you won’t be running around last minute for gifts or maybe you can complete some other holiday-related tasks ahead of time.
- Determine whether you have any upcoming trips or projects that you’ll have to organize during these last two months and move forward with them. Use this time to prepare, pack and gather necessary resources. There tends to be a lot of activity packed into the end of the year.
- Brainstorm about the ways that you can engage in self-care as the hectic pace of the end of the year picks up. What sort of activities and breaks will enable you to deal with the stress? How can you help yourself to finish out the year on a strong note with all of the energy and optimism that you need? Devote some energy to working on that.
- Finally, turn your focus towards execution. Now is the time to start cranking things out. This often boils down to eliminating distractions and organizing your time. Revisit the goals that you came up with and set up your plans for making them happen. Sure, this is a busy time, but you still have two whole months to get things done, and you will if you put your attention to it. So, do your best to maximize your moments and focus your time towards execution.