June is #PrideMonth, and 2021 marks the 51st year where we get to celebrate the LGBTQ community with parades, festivals and a little education!
We have come a long way since the days of police raids and the ensuing riots, like that of the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, from which Pride Month was born (for those interested in learning more, History.com has some great information), but we still have a long way to go.
While Pride Month honors the voices of the LGBTQ communities, you do not need to be from those communities in order to celebrate it! Allies from anywhere are welcome – to celebrate, show support, observe, and learn!
Pride month is about celebrating the freedom for people to be themselves, no matter what their sexual preference or identity. And music has always played a crucial role in the LGBTQ movement, with the dance floor providing a safe space for people to express themselves and let loose! Music was where many in the LGBTQ communities and their allies could express themselves and push societal boundaries.
So many great anthems and love songs were born out of this movement, and the following are 20 of my favorites across the decades:
- Donna Summer, “I Feel Love” (1977)
- Sylvester – “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” (1978)
- Village People – “YMCA” (1978)
- Gloria Gaynor – “I Will Survive” (1978)
- Freddie Mercury (Queen) – “Don´t Stop Me Now” (1978)
- Diana Ross – “I’m Coming Out!” (1980)
- Elton John – while “Elton’s Song” (1981)
- George Michael – “Freedom” (1990)
- KD Lang – “Constant Craving” (1992)
- Ru Paul “Supermodel (You Better Work)”
- Melissa Ethridge – “Come To My Window” (2009)
- Robyn – “Dancing on My Own” (2010)
- Lady Gaga – “Born This Way” (2011)
- Mary Lambert – “She Keeps Me Warm” (2013)
- Hayley Kiyoko – Girls Like Girls (2015)
- Kehlani – “Honey” (2017)
- Frank Ocean “Forest Gump” (2018)
- Janelle Monae – “I Like That” (2018)
- Halsey – Strangers (2018)
- Sam Smith, Demi Lovato – I´m Ready (2020)
Many of these songs and artists are included in the WURRLYedu catalog, for those wanting to learn them and make them their own!