Try to Stop Pretending
I don’t know about you but some days I just can’t focus, there’s too much roaming in my brain. My husband is always the first to notice, he says to me “you’re talking fast and your breathing is labored”. Thankfully as a meditator, I am quickly able to confirm his discovery. So, I stop pretending.
Why do we feel the need to cover every minute of the day? I have suffered from this most of my adult life. We see the impact around us the fear, anxiety and the unproductivity it produces when we attempt to plow through unfocused moments. Well, try an internet search most results point to articles that will either show you how to focus OR identify other deeply psychological and emotional reasons why you can’t focus. But before you go there, maybe consider your mind is simply saying not today. It wants to stop pretending to be something it is not, a focused mind. Perhaps, it is not that deep at all and it just wants to start over tomorrow.
So for me, after I have ruled out all of the “heavy reasons” why I can’t focus, I have a start over game plan.
This is what I do:
- I go for a walk- get some fresh air sometimes with good music and singing.
- I meditate and pray-asking for a clearer mind tomorrow
- I read or take an online class- topics that I learn from and other stuff that I just enjoy
- I write an enjoyable article or just random thoughts
- I sit with my dog and rub her belly
- I socially connect with friends and family
There’s always tomorrow. Life is a marathon, not a sprint, so give yourself a break.
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”- Mary Anne Radmacher
So, I will do just that, try again tomorrow.