On January 17, 2018, Britain appointed a minister for loneliness. This appointment lends credence to a phenomenon noted by author Sherrey Turkle. We live in a world in which we are “alone together.”
Since the advent of technology, we have been able to connect with one another in so many ways. Platforms like Facebook and Twitter are part of daily lives. It is generally harder to connect with someone online than with someone you’ve met in person.  This is why face-to-face conversations eliminates the disconnect found in online relationships.

It ensure the emotional subtext of a conversation is not lost. According to James Borg words make up only 7% of conversations. The remaining 93% is body language. Social interaction creates bonds through physical contacts. A simple handshake, a hug or a sense of touch, allows us to connect and to show empathy in different ways. A hug can be all it takes to connect with someone. Something you cannot achieve online.

John Munsell, CEO of Bizzuka said “if content is king, then conversation is queen.” People can be and say anything online. In a face-to-face situation, “your words are your bond” and you can’t hide from your true self.  We are a generation that is forgetting how to talk to each other. Online conversations allow you time to think about what you are going to say. Unlike speaking face-to-face, where you react to what is being said. Constant Connection Creates Disconnection. To preserve the vital art of communication, face-to-face conversations are a necessity.