My goal for this year was to read 60 books in 2019. I managed to read 50 – not too bad! By the end of the year, I might even read two more. In fact, right now I am engaged in a lengthy book entitled Churchill Walking with Destiny, by Andrew Roberts. The book is nearly 1000 pages long, and I have read about 700 pages so far.  I am really loving it; I hope to finish it over the next two days. I really do love to read over the holidays!

For me, reading is an act of intimacy with the author and the characters. I truly believe we are the result of the books we read, as well as of the people we spend time with. I enjoy immersing myself in a different time and becoming involved with people I normally don’t have the chance to hang out with.

Reading is also one of my best forms of therapy. As I mature, I find that I am reading more non-fiction books and reading fewer novels. In the last three years I barely indulged in any “fun” reading. Instead, I have turned to books to serve as my teachers and mentors, as I am on a mission to grow.

Here the books that I enjoyed reading in 2019, which really left a big impression on me:

1.Conversations with God – An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1, by Neale Donald Walsch.

Two of the most memorable quotes from this book are “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”  and “If you want the best the world has to offer, offer the world your best.” This is a book that invites you to reflect deeply and to strengthen your faith. It is not an easy read and it requires an open mind, but the book speaks to you, depending on where you are along your own path of growth.

2. Becoming Supernatural, by Joe Dispenza.

A dear friend of mine recommended this book, so I ordered it on the spot as I always do when a book is recommended to me. This way, I don’t forget about it.  So, only 24 hours after our conversation, I was already reading it. I truly love this book. It has been transformational to me, and it has really boosted my creative mindset. We all could become supernatural with practice, but how consistent can we be with that practice? Well, I am still on it! 

3. Optic Nerve, by Maria Gainza.

This book was a gift by a dear friend in Argentina, and what a gift! It is one of the novels that I have enjoyed the most in a long time. From the first page I was immediately attached to the book’s narrator. I read the book in Spanish – the original language – and what a delight! The narrator of the book is an Argentinian woman with a deep love for art. I won’t go into any more detail except to assure you that it’s an excellent read.

4. On the Happy Life, by Seneca. 

Going back to the basics has always done the job for me. Simplifying life has been one of my aims this year. I love philosophy, and stoicism is a school of thought that is in alignment with my own philosophy (which is a big cocktail of ideas). The book’s timeless wisdom is totally useful today.

5. Self-Knowledge, by the School of Life. 

“Know yourself” is the most fundamental principle of philosophy throughout time. This book helps you by  probe the deepest aspects of who you are and of your personality. I loved the exercises proposed to work on knowing yourself. This is a great book to start the year with, indeed. 

In 2020 I plan to continue to challenge myself to read 60 books. I think this goal represents a great way to read more, and the more you read, the more you like it, believe it or not. If you have any suggestions for books you recommend that I read, please share!

Happy reading in 2020!!!