But the numbers don’t stop there.
People with depression have a 40 percent higher risk of developing cardiovascular and metabolic diseases than the general population. Across the U.S. economy, serious mental illness causes $193.2 billion in lost earnings each year, while the rate of unemployment is higher among U.S. adults who have mental illness.
Mental health challenges also places a strain on loved ones. At least 8.4 million people in the U.S. provide care to an adult with a mental or emotional health issue, and caregivers of adults with mental or emotional health issues spend an average of 32 hours per week providing unpaid care.
Mental health is a continuum that impacts us all. During the pandemic, nearly everyone faced challenges with mental health and wellbeing – personally or with friends and family. Now more than ever, focusing on mental health and wellness needs to be a priority for all of us this coming year and into the future.
At CHC: Creating Healthier Communities, we envision a world where every person in every community has an opportunity to realize their greatest potential. And we work to break the barriers to good health and equity. As part of that focus, we offer mental health and wellbeing resources and partnerships. We:
- Run an annual employee wellbeing challenge, plus offer regular giving, volunteering and engagement activities throughout the year, including health and mental health challenges like drinking water, physical fitness, stress relief, etc. These wellbeing activities have been featured in Ragan PR Daily. We previously offered in-person yoga taught by a staff member; now these are virtual activities like our “mental health break” on Zoom this week.
- Offer a robust health and wellness guide for partners, plus a dedicated mental health cause, and general health resources (including mental health)
- Partner with companies like Liberty Diversified International on mental health projects and our proprietary PhilanthroBreak™ “breaks with a purpose” events
- Write regularly on mental health, including pieces in Thrive Global, Forbes, and Medium:
- How to Adjust to the “New Normal” While Maintaining Your Mental and Physical Health
- Creating a Work-Health Balance: Achieving success at work shouldn’t have to come at the cost of your mental well-being
- Winter is Coming: How to Overcome Seasonal Affective Disorder by Maintaining Your Mental and Physical Health
- Post-Pandemic: Every Organization Must Become A Health Champion
- How To Keep Employees Energized During Crisis
- Mental Health Challenges During COVID-19
- Five Emerging Nonprofit Trends In 2021 (forbes.com)
- And more
Whatever you choose to do, take action and take time to care for your own and your team’s mental health and wellbeing.