With my “Three Favorites Things or People” segment, I dig deep to find those things that stir my soul and those people who make me feel, deeply, sometimes causing tears to fall from my eyes, by sharing their truths, or by making me feel so inspired that I feel like I can take on the world!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is OprahandJoeBiden.jpg
Super Soul Sunday, Joe Biden and Oprah

This February 2019, I found it in a play. I experienced it while watching Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday. And I shimmered with inspiration at every glance of a picture below.

The play was Witness Uganda at the Wallis Annenberg Theater, Beverly Hills, California, and I was spell-bound by its dancers, its musical ensembles, led by soulful R & B icon Ledisi, its foot-stomping music, and the bodies, shapes, and sounds that brought Uganda to the lovely Lovelace Studio Theater at the Annenberg. As the brown, thick thighs of some of the dancers, stomped right in front of me, I felt comfort in my own 5’9 large frame, rarely felt in Beverly Hills, a place obsessed with model thin sizes and shapes.

Witness Uganda Cast
Soulful R & B Singer Ledisi in Witness Uganada

The story is about a gay man who, after being called out at his New York church, decides to take a trip to Uganda to build a school and change the world. But, once there, he learns that the negative forces of homophobia follow him, and he comes to understand the difficulty and complexity of changing lives in a culture pinned down by poverty and corruption.

The performance touched my soul so because I started writing after a series of long conversations with my BFF from high school, a tall, handsome, flamboyant gay male, who was wrestling with living in Los Angeles among friends who were living double lives and afraid to come out. Shortly, after our marathon conversations, I moved to Europe, and when I returned, my friend passed from aids. In my first two novels, the women are married to men who will not accept that they’re gay.

I felt my BFF’s spirit in the Lovelace theater as Griffen, the protagonist in Witness Uganda, played wonderfully by Jamar Williams, tried so hard to make peace with himself and the injustices and disparities that he found on both sides of the globe.
The performance is so wonderful, the singing so rapturous, and the music so delightful, that it’s being held over until March 3rd.

You can get ticket information here:
Information: (310) 746-4000 or TheWallis.org/Witness

The television show that inspired me was Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday during which she talked to Joe Biden with the ease of a warm summer breeze. There was a calmness and stillness between them, a real desire to see our country turn around, which stirred my soul and covered me with a blanket of peace.

The way Joe Biden looked down at the ground during much of the interview, almost as if he was in prayer, exemplified such humbleness, in a time when everyone is trying way too hard to be the best next thing.

It was obvious that they both understand what a dark place we’re in in the United States and they’re both doing their part to find solutions for our nation.

I appreciated Joe Biden saying that the rapture began when white Republicans decided that they wouldn’t work with the first African American President of the United States. This act pulled off the scab of deeply held racist beliefs, which needed to be exposed to the light, so that Americans can have hard conversations to heal our race and class divisions. And I have faith that we will heal our nation.

Their conversation was a soothing hour-long prayer, especially with the Former Vice President’s head bowed so often as he talked about losing his son, Beau. It reminded me of the great Martin Luther King, Jr. when he said:

“We need leaders not in love with money but in love with justice. Not in love with publicity but in love with humanity. Leaders who can subject their particular egos to the pressing urgencies of the great cause of freedom a time like this demands great leaders.”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Joe Biden and Oprah Winfrey represent those type of leaders. And although they sat in chairs as they talked on Super Soul Sunday, I envisioned them both kneeling as Martin Luther King, Jr. did in the picture below: And this brings me to my third favorite thing for the month of February. The beautiful picture below.

Martin Luther King kneeling in protest

Happy African American History Month!

Author(s)

• MeMe Kelly

MFA (Playwright), University of California, a woman addicted to the written word, who writes through life's ups and downs.

Meme Kelly has a B.A from UCLA and an MFA in playwriting from another campus of The University of California:).  She loves UCLA! She writes in all genres, but she left her heart on the pages of Natural Women, a TV Pilot script that features the Aretha Franklin music that MeMe listened to in the wee-hours of the night while writing. While working on her MFA, she wrote another TV pilot script, Out of Bounds, that was selected as a top 10 script out of 175 scripts in UCLA Film School's prestigious Samuel Goldwyn contest and her feature script was selected a quarter-finalist in the Academy's Nicholl's contest out of 7600 scripts. MeMe has learned that "Breaking Into Hollywood" is challenging, but she has faith that, eventually, both scripts will be developed by wonderful producers! She's also a producer and author of four plays and author of three self-published books and two eBooks, all of which were edited by editors from Simon and Schuster and Bantam,and sold nationally on Amazon and at chain stores, such as Barnes & Noble. She loves children and taught for Los Angeles Unified for years and was a Distinguished Dean's Fellow and Gluck Foundation Fellow while working on her MFA at University of California,  where she introduced hundreds of elementary school children to theater arts, creating a curriculum and activities to teach the same. She lives in Southern California with her hubby, three sons, and dogs, Tip and Blue. Please note on Instagram, MeMe is only concerned with keeping up with her sons.