You are designed for growth and expansion.

Growth connotes increase, something bigger, broader and better, it is not merely a great notion to casually reference but one that is natural and necessary.

Growth occurs in phases and in your career, business, life, it can be initiated with a decision. However, don’t forget that the success or failure of any growth effort is hinged upon acting expediently and applying focus and consitency.

No alt text provided for this image

So if you have been thinking about expansion, here are the five areas you must consider – 

1. EXPAND YOUR KNOWLEDGE – Seek out information, refuse to settle for the superficial. Read books, listen to podcasts, cross-check and fact-check the information you absorb especially from reputable sources. 

2. EXPAND YOUR VISION – Become methodical with your eyes, look and validate what you see. The power and beauty of vision lies in its ability to pull upward, inward and onward. With vision, you can reframe the obvious, and elevate the mundane. Start looking to see what is going on around you.

3. EXPAND YOUR PERSPECTIVE – As social beings, we gravitate towards clusters in relationships. Our circles if left unchecked, will reflect our comfort zones with people just like us in thinking and affinities. It’s natural, don’t beat yourself up but I want you expand your perspective so you can ‘see’ differently. You can start with books as they are powerful tools to challenge and inform from a safe place but I hope you will seek out opportunities to hear and engage others outside your comfort zone.

4. EXPAND YOUR REACH – In reach, I want this to go beyond the usual and let me challenge you to see your reach as those within your sphere of influence. How are you engaging them beyond the norm? Are they being impacted to become greater?

5. EXPAND YOUR INFLUENCE – Lastly, we live in a world of influencers, those who have elevated the voices beyond a certain level. These influencers who use their reach to recommend products, and services. Rather than dismiss influence, explore how you can offer whatever you have to the world. The question to ask is what do you have to offer your world and why should anyone care? What uniqueness do you have and use? Discover ways you can use what you have, who you know to make this world a better place.

In a way, this is how you earn your keep! I know this much, growing up is ‘nice’ and challenging but worth it. So deal with it!

Dr. Flo

For more on leadership, coaching and personal development, visit my blog, www.flofalayi.com/blog and follow me on Twitter @drflofalayi

Author(s)

• Dr. Flo

Client Partner | Equity & Inclusion Strategist, Leadership, Career & Executive Coach.

Korn Ferry

Dr. Flo Falayi is a dynamic organizational leadership psychologist, Inclusion strategist, and executive coach. A well-respected thought leader with a diverse strategic approach to addressing complex, multifaceted leadership challenges. A YALE Scholar, Fellow of The Institute of Information Management, and the Founder of The Hybrid Leadership Institute (non-profit) focused on developing current and identifying next-generation global leaders and entrepreneurs. At Korn Ferry, Dr. Flo is focused on strategically supporting, enabling, and guiding organizations, leaders, and individuals to become better versions of themselves.