One of the most hyped and breathlessly awaited midterm elections in American history is now upon us. As Election Day 2018 is here, it’s time to get out there and vote. But, what do the Midterm Elections have to do with the process at all?

While 2018 is not a presidential election year, there are still many federal, state, and local races. “Midterms” are held halfway between presidential elections. Specifically, voters elect one-third (1/3) of all U.S. senators and all 435 members of the U.S. House of Representatives, in addition to 36 local state governors and state legislators.

In other words, these Midterms determine which party—Democrat or Republican, will control each chamber of Congress for the next two years.

An Exclusive Interview With FOX Nation’s Tomi Lahren

But, perhaps what is most interesting is how young voters will approach the polls. According to the Pew Research Center, Millennial and Generation X voters now outnumber their more senior cohorts. Last month, the Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics found that just 26% of voters, ages 18-29 approve of the job President Trump has done, while 55% said they would like to see a Democratic majority in Congress. While arguably the younger voters aren’t the most reliable, this year could be different.

I had the chance to speak with FOX Nation’s, Tomi Lahren on why getting out there and voting is absolutely imperative in today’s political atmosphere, especially for the youth:

Andrew Rossow: Can you share your experience from the first time you voted, and what it meant to you?

Tomi Lahren: My first vote was back in the 2010 midterm elections in South Dakota. I voted for the Congresswoman I would then intern for that following summer, Kristi Noem (R-SD). I definitely remember this vote because it was THE midterm election that changed former President Obama’s first time. It was an absolute referendum on his lack of leadership. I was able to be part of changing that and sending a message to the administration.

AR: What does this year’s Midterm Election mean to you?

TL: This year’s midterms are equally as important because they are ALSO a referendum on presidential leadership. However, we now have a president who is leading, winning, and putting America first. We MUST fight to continue winning and putting American first in our own country.

AR: How does today’s Midterms impact young voters, specifically millennials?

TL: I am proud to see young people energized about politics, probably more than we have seen since Vietnam. That being said, there is certainly a larger group of young people energized to watch our rights be stripped away (i.e. our First and Second Amendment rights). That is why it is more important than ever for freedom-loving young people to get out and be equally as energized, vocal, and active.

AR: What tips and/or advice do you have for those who have never voted, or those young voters casting their first votes?

TL: My advice is simple—DON’T VOTE FOR WHO YOUR FRIENDS, PEERS, PARENTS, or TEACHERS TELL YOU TO VOTE FOR. Rather, vote for the people and ideas you truly believe in and understand. I don’t want a bunch of young people to go out and vote conservative, just because someone told them to, either. I want young people to become educated on the issues. Don’t think like others, think for yourself. The best IDEAS win!

AR: Often, we hear from voters that “my vote won’t make a difference,” can you shed some light on this?

TL: Your vote DOES make a difference. If you don’t believe me, just remember the pollsters and mainstream media hacks who told us that Hillary Clinton has a 93% chance of winning. Why? Whisper voters. Those are the voters who don’t squawk about their vote, but they do vote! Also, these midterm races are very important at the state and local levels. If we want to increase freedom, we must be active, even when it’s not a presidential election year! We can’t hold the House or Senate if people don’t get out and vote!

AR: What do you want young voters to remember most about this election?

TL: Your voice matters. The First Amendment is under attack on college campuses, so it’s more important than ever to let your voices be heard at the ballot box. After all, you may or may not protest or march in the streets, but you sure as heck should march into the voting booth! Also, don’t just vote Democrat because you don’t like President Trump. You are beginning to feel the pinch of taxes and the weight of big government. Vote on that. Vote to maximize freedom!

FOX News Channel Presenting Live Coverage of the 2018 Midterm Elections

Today’s Midterm Elections will be one to hold onto your seats for. Additionally, Fox News Channel (FNC) will be presenting special live coverage of the 2018 midterm elections all day today, for affiliates beginning at 6pm/ET.

Anchored by Jared Halpern, along with expert analysis and the latest on key races. On FNR, co-hosts of Benson & Harf (6-9PM/ET), Guy Benson and Marie Harf, will host a three-hour live midterm election special, in addition to participating in FNC’s AEHQ: 2018 MIterms. Additionally, Fox News Headlines 24/7 will provide updates every 15 minutes on SiriusXM Channel 115, with correspondents reporting live from around the country.

Additionally, FoxNews.com will feature up-to-the-minute Senate and House race results and probability meters, alongside reports from multiple campaign headquarters across the country. It will also be live-streaming portions of the channel’s special coverage, including race results, election trends and in-depth political analysis.

Here’s the lineup:

• America’s Election HQ: 2018 Midterms

Co-anchored by chief political anchor and Special Reports Bret Baier and The Story’s Martha MacCallum, this segment will provide viewers with the latest race calls on individual Senate and House races, as well as projections on the balance of power in both the Senate and the House via the FOX News Decision Desk.

• Key Race Tracker

Throughout the evening, America’s Newsroom’s Bill Hemmer will be breaking down the results on the electronic “Bill-board” and Outnumbered Overtime’s Harris Faulkner will feature the Key Race Tracker, a data driven graphic showcasing where the key races stand.

• FOX News Voter Analysis

Additionally, Fox News @ Night’s Shannon Bream will debut the FOX News Voter Analysis, surveying early and Election Day voters, that were conducted in all 50 states by NORC at the University of Chicago for Fox News and the Associated Press.