Periodic media reports of air crashes lead to many people becoming panicky about flying. Because of this, they refuse to travel abroad, spend extra time on the train. If a flight is inevitable, all the time that it passes, they are severely tormented. Such people need to figure out how to overcome the fear of flying, and strictly follow all useful recommendations.
To get rid of aerophobia (as well as from any fear), it is first recommended to consult a psychologist. However, it is difficult to find a really good specialist, and not everyone has money for these services, so you need to learn how to deal with your phobias yourself. Most often, people are afraid of flying because of the danger of getting into a plane crash. To get rid of this fear, you need to read the statistics of the crash. Further, it is recommended to compare it with the flight schedule and to understand that accidents occur nevertheless much less frequently than successful flights. In general, according to statistics, the probability of dying in a plane crash is 1: 11000000. In addition, any transport, including the one we use every day, is a risk zone. Car accidents, for example, happen much more often than with aircraft. Fear in flight also arises due to a lack of understanding of the specifics of the aircraft. To overcome it, you should read how air travel goes. For example, many people are frightened that when taking off they are strongly pressed to the chair, they lay their ears (and when landing too). This is normal. A plane can take off from the ground only at a sufficiently high speed (which is why it presses it), and it can lay down its ears due to pressure drops, then everything passes. The turbulence zone is often very frightening: it seems to a person that he falls into a hole several times in a row, but in reality there is no danger. The plane just crosses the boundaries of high and low atmospheric pressure. In order not to get injured with such shaking, you need to fasten your seat belt for this time, not get up and close the luggage compartment so that nothing falls out of it.
Facts about airplanes
In any liner, almost all systems are duplicated (many even repeatedly), including engines, all cannot fail simultaneously;
Before the flight, each aircraft undergoes a technical inspection;
during the flight, strong pressure is created under the wings, the air holds the car, it can fly even if one engine fails;
the aircraft is controlled by a crew that is constantly being trained;
catastrophes happen only after many unfavorable circumstances, when organizing the next flights, airlines try to take into account this negative experience.
To really overcome the fear of flying, you should not watch disaster films or read in detail about airplane crashes. This will make it even worse. It’s better to try to relax: read a book or watch a film of positive content, listen to calm music. Another life hack: a few days before the flight, read Allen Carr’s “Easy Way to Enjoy Air Travel”. This book has already helped thousands of people around the world to overcome their aerophobia – this is evidenced by high ratings and reviews from readers, which means that the author’s method works. It is based on a methodical analysis of the fears associated with flights and their overcoming. Towards the end of the book, you will feel that the inner tension at the thought of airplanes has let you go. If you are afraid, that your rights on the plain will be broken, don’t worry, here are a lot of firms, for example Myflyright, who deal with such problems. As practice shows, now there are less and less such violations.
What is not worth doing?
No need to go to any forum dedicated to air travel. Flying people like to talk about their difficulties, and this again will increase concerns. It is better to simply study in advance information about the airline and, if possible, about the pilots conducting this flight. They increase stress and fees on the last day in a hurry, so it is better to prepare for the trip in advance. On the eve of departure, you need to relax and unwind. The following recommendations will help to cope with fear:
- you must choose direct and least long flights if possible so as to be as low as possible in the air;
- it is better to fly during the day – when it is light, it is not so scary;
- with fear of heights, you do not need to take a place near the porthole;
- with claustrophobia, it is better to sit next to the emergency exit;
- those who are afraid of turbulence are advised to take tickets in the bow and choose a large plane – it shakes less;
- in general, it is better to take places between the wings – they are the safest;
- during the flight, you need to try to get distracted: an action-packed book or a movie, calm music (you can’t only use headphones when your ears are full, you should wait), some kind of needlework, talking with a neighbor (but in no case should you discuss possible accidents);
- you can console yourself with something tasty (fruits, berries), but in reasonable quantities;
- it is worth trying to close your eyes and imagine that you are going by bus or train;
- you always need to repeat to yourself that everything will be fine, that the pilots are also interested, so that the flight ends successfully;
- It is recommended to use special mobile applications that show flight in real time, including warning when turbulence can begin.
- Many aerophobes take alcohol for courage, but again this should not be done: it can become physically bad, and fears will only be strengthened. In addition, it is terribly harmful and can lead to conflict with cabin crew. Soothing tablets are not recommended, it is better to take jars of essential oils and breathe them. You should also not drink coffee, because it will excite the nervous system, which is already on the platoon. You need to get rid of fear with the help of auto-suggestion, but it is important to monitor physical health.
The fight against ill health
Reluctance to fly can also occur due to fear of stuffy ears or nausea. To help your ears, you need to do swallowing movements, for example, drink water. It is also recommended to yawn more often or simply open your mouth, and you can also take a deep breath by holding your nose and then exhaling sharply. It clicks in the ears and sets them aside – the eardrum snaps into place. If the plane is motion sick, you do not need to eat tightly before the flight, and during it it is recommended to eat a little lemon or orange, pickles, drink lemon or orange juice or water without gas, inhale the essential oils of mint, lemon or ginger. If there is no turbulence, you can get up and walk around the cabin a bit. And if you can’t rise, you should choose a stationary object next to you and concentrate your attention on it. You should always remember that only the one who fights wins. Aerophobes do not need to give up travel, but look for how to get rid of the fear of flying on an airplane. The right choice of flight and place, convincing yourself that everything will be in order, and distraction for interesting activities will help to make the flight quite tolerable, and in the future to overcome the phobia completely.