Have you noticed that everything in life has an opposite? 

  • Peace/War.
  • Dark/Light.
  • Black/White.
  • Night/Day.
  • Sun/Moon. 

Okay, you get the picture. 

Sometimes, because we take things for granted and have come to expect certain things to be the way they always are, we fail to see more of this contrast around us.

Take the workplace for example. There are the engaged worker and the disengaged worker. Right?

According to Gallup’s 2014 report, almost 70% of workers are disengaged or actively disengaged at work.

Imagine, 7 out of 10 workers are just there. It means that 80% of production is being done by 30% of the workers.

This is a recipe for low morale, erosion of excellent work, and possible conflict among team members.

It’s only a matter of time that the 30% who is carrying most of the weight, will start to either slack off, grumble, or get into conflict with the other 70%.

Have that been your experience?

The question is, how do you or should you as a leader, address this? Can it be turned around?

There is good news.

According to research commissioned by the O.C. Tanner Institute, they found strong evidence that there is a proven solution that gives businesses and organizations, hope.

This study cited the one main action that leaders could take, to turn things around. It is frequent and effective employee recognition or acknowledgment.

I recently discussed this in length on The Kingsley Grant Show – Make Acknowledgment Great Again. #MAGA

When leaders make recognition (acknowledgment) a priority, it has been proven to:

  • Cause great work
  • Increase engagement 
  • Encourage innovation and productivity
  • Improve trust and manager relationships
  • Attract and retain talent 

This research was further validated by 2014 O.C. Tanner client data pulled from more than 8 million recognition moments, with 91% of recognized employees reporting, “they felt highly motivated to contribute to the success of their organizations.”

These findings serve as an encouragement to leaders who are facing the challenge of employee disengagement.

If you’d like to hear more on this topic of “Who Else Wants A 90% Employee Engagement Within The Workplace,” you can listen to this episode of The Kingsley Grant Show.

To access your FREE COPY of the book mentioned, click on this link: https://www.kingsleygrant.com/freeleadershipbook

If you’d like to connect with me for leadership coaching or training, please do so HERE.

(Article first published on LinkedIn)